Thursday, December 6, 2007

Every summer we take a trip to Arcadia, where we have 10 acres of heavily wooded pines, and our small camper, and stay and play in Lake Michigan, go hiking and just relax. After the trek a year ago, camping has seemed relatively easy for me. I used to not be so fond of being away from my creature comforts, but having water and a bed to sleep on is all I need after experiencing 4 days in my own skin and same clothes and sleeping with mosquitoes buzzing in my ears on the trek. Last year for Christmas Adam got a skim board, which is a small piece of wood used to float on top of the water in a lake or an ocean. Here he is trying it out:


At my age, skim boarding is a dangerous sport, but I was longing to try it--just not too eager to break a bone in the process. So we found a shallow area and Roger and Adam each took one of my arms and propelled me across the water. It was a great feeling, gliding smoothly across that thin film of water--I got the longest ride of the day!

That was all I needed to lift my spirits and feel young again. I was content to watch Adam continue slipping, sliding and falling in the water for the next hour. Looking forward to next summer!

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

I'm loving your blog-I just wish you had time to post more-how's the weather your way? Canning meat is easy peasy......!