Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Fruitful season

'Tis the time of year when harvest comes in. I haven't canned anything for years. I used to do it all the time. Then it seemed life got so busy and canned food got so cheap that it was more worth my while and time just to buy everything. Lately I have been feeling anxious about my food storage. I really wanted to take advantage of the sales of meat and fruit and start canning my own. Problem is, I have this kind of stove:



Turns out it wasn't smart thinking on my part to get a stove that I can't can on. However, creative minds find a way! Last week I found some chicken on sale and I was determined to find a way to can it. Then I remember a few years back when we decided to deep fry a turkey. I still had the burner from that!


I debated the pros and cons:

Pros:

Kitchen will stay cool
Chicken will get canned

Propane heats up much faster the electric


Cons:
I have to lug the canner and produce outside
I have to monitor it outside

Dog likes to sniff and smell and eat everything outside

So the pros won and I attempted my first canning project in many years. Here's the before:


Here's the after!


I also have oodles of zucchini. I just hate to waste it. So here's the end result of that:

My dehydrator, which has sat dormant and dusty on the shelf for years as well, is getting some good use.

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

YAY you! Good job. I could have told you that zucchini is not a good thing to can. Shred it and freeze it. I am getting the canning bug again too-

Mari said...

Hmm... Uh... I'm sure that will taste good but... I guess stuff like that just doesn't look as appetizing in a jar. And the zucchini sorta looks like squid to me. I don't know why. I don't think I've ever even seen squid in a jar. That's just what it makes me think of. Yum yum! Let us know how it tastes.

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I never learned how to can and I am afraid to try. Maybe someday...