Sunday, August 31, 2008

Life's little mysteries

Hello my readers.

I know you have been missing me.

You crave something new!


I wish I was more regular with blogging. I have slow internet, that's my excuse. Yeah. That's it. It takes me awhile to do ANYTHING on this computer.

So, now that I'm back, let me tell you a story.

Ems and I were taking advantage of the lovely produce that is available this time of year, and had taken a drive to the local blueberry picking field. We spent an hour or so picking and eating and then returned home to take care of the berries.

I decided to dry them. I thought those little nuggets would taste great in my oat groats.

So, we were cleaning, desteming and blanching those little lovelies for awhile. After they were nestled snugly in the dryer, Ems and I decided we needed a little snack. Mmmm, there were some delicious purple grapes in the fridge. Perfect!

So , we were munching and chatting and musing about things. Ems pauses, looks at me and says:
"Hey, I wonder what grapes would be like if they were dried."

Me (big pause): "Uh. . . . Raisins?"

Ems (sheepishly): "Oh, yeah . . . duh!"

We laughed and laughed about this.

Then we wondered. Why do grapes get a new name when they are dried? Or plums? Are they special? Is it because they are purple? Is it because they are chewy when dried? What new name would you give blueberries? Or apricots? Or mangos? Or bananas? Is "banana chips" the best we can do? What about "craisins"? How clever is that? Hmmm.

Now you know why I haven't blogged in a bit. My mind has been consumed with naming dried fruits.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

One of life's little mysteries...dried fruits! Glad to see you back!