Saturday, August 16, 2008

When the cat's away . . .

My boys are gone.

They left a few days ago.


The first day they were gone I just moped around my house. I wore my PJs all day that day. I just wanted to be morose and sad. I didn't even answer the door when someone knocked. A few hours later they knocked again and I dragged myself to the door. It was my neighbors, looking quite shocked at my appearance. My mood lifted slightly as she handed me a lovely loaf of zucchini bread. I apologized for my appearance and she naturally assumed that I wasn't feeling well. True. True. I felt much better after I downed half of the bread.

Anyway, I am feeling somewhat back to my old self, although there is always this sensation that part of you is missing when your hubby leaves. I try to look at the bright side of things. You know, when my DH isn't here I can spend time doing things I don't always have time to do. I don't need to spend too much time in the kitchen. I enjoy feasting on culinary delights such as this:



And this (yum!):


and only 1/2 the fat too! I CAN have my cake and eat it too!

Ems and I polish our toes. My foot is the whiter, wider one on the left.


We play games too. Don't look too closely at the score.

But perhaps the best bonding experience is this:

Oops, sorry about the closeup, but I wanted you to see how the mask brings out the green in my eyes. Can you tell I was having a hard time smiling?

Ems would like you to notice how smoothly and evenly she applied her mask. Mine is an uneven, globbed-on mess. And, have you noticed my two little horns on top of my head? That's what happens to you when your husband leaves.

One day at a time. That's my motto.

2 comments:

Mari said...

Ha ha ha, this was a good one. Sorry to steal your boys from ya for awhile. They've been fun so far. And although your foot may be whiter I'm not so sure about the wider part. I'd say they're about even. Don't tell Ems. And I wish I was there with ya, painting my toes pink and my face green.

The Mink Family said...

Too funny!! I must admit that I'm not looking forward to Tom leaving in September (for a week and 1/2). But alas...you've given me some great ideas while he's gone!!