Tuesday, September 2, 2008

As the wind blows . . .

I have a confession to make.

I am a hurricane junkie.



I'm sure if I had lived through one I wouldn't feel this way. But there is something so wild, so thrilling, so beautiful (yes, beautiful) about a hurricane.

I found myself glued to the TV this weekend watching the events unfold. The drama of it is so incredible on CNN and TWC. Reporters must do their reporting as the actual events unfold, standing in the weather so we can see how bad it is. I admit, that part of it seems pretty stupid. I mean, who would want to do that? I wouldn't. But I sure like to watch the pictures of it as it happens.

It makes me feel so small and insignificant when I see the power of mother nature. We are helpless as it bears down on us, and we must flee to save ourselves. Nothing matters except the basics of survival: water, food, shelter.

And those of us outside the action watch and wait as it blows itself out.

2 comments:

Mari said...

Yeah, well when we live in Florida you can come visit us during a hurricane and we'll all see how we feel about it then. Not that we're living there. As far as we know. Yet.
I am totally fascinated by natural disasters too. So interesting.

Marilyn said...

I watched it all day too! we were in CA when they had the LA earthquake in July-didn't feel a thing-Robin said he did. But we WERE in an earthquake when we lived in CA a jillion years ago and DID feel it. It was SCARY! even though it was a tiny one.