Thursday, November 6, 2008

Eek!

As the weather cools, we invariably find creatures that make their way into our house. On warm days, like today (nearly 70, yahoo!), the Japanese beetles invade my front room. One year there were so many I think I vacuumed up over 100. This year wasn't as bad.

We have the spiders, the box elder beetles, crickets and various other annoying pests. Those don't bother me much. However, this knowledge did not prepare me for what I saw as I tripped down the stairs with a load of laundry in my hands.


One of our traps, which we always have set (just in case!), clipped this little guys toes. I didn't see him until I was nearly on top of him, ugh!!
Here's what happened to the laundry:


I was on the stairs above, shrieking and shaking.

Now I was stuck with a dilemma. What should I do? Would it stay put until DH got home?

Not a chance.

It was up to me. So I did what any woman who is good at preserving would do. I canned it.


Put my Kerr jar to good use!

Goodbye little mouse! Tell your friends to find a new home!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eek is right. We also get little critters in our house. Aaaah!! I LOVE your ingenuity with the canning jar! Good one.

GinnyC said...

Awesome blog!By 'canning' the little devil you 'preserved' your sanity. As you may remember we have a homeless cat who lives under our sunroom. She takes care of any mice or rat problems. I thought she was pregnant one year because she was so fat.

Mari said...

Emily was telling me about this, I was hoping you would blog about it! I loved the pic of what happened to the laundry, lol.

Austin said...

I caught about 30 of the little buggers in jars when I was there. Not at once though.