Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Violated

I've been hacked.

It is not a good feeling.

Someone got into both of my email accounts, wrote emails in my name and stole all my addresses. I didn't know it until I got a bunch of return mail and people writing me back wondering if I was in a new venture of some sort. Many recognized that the style of writing was different than my own. Some didn't. I don't know how many took it seriously and went to the website.

Scary.

It reminds me of an incident when I was in high school. Our home was robbed. I came home to a distraught mother and a house that had been picked over. I went to my room and saw my drawers open, my clothing on the floor (my fault) and felt this creepy feeling that a stranger had been in my room, touching my clothes and going through my stuff. And taking my stuff too. Whoever it was, was good at it. They didn't waste time looking in obvious places. They took only the most precious things.

We couldn't touch anything until the police came. All I wanted to do was to clean up my room, restore it to order, remove the reminders that made me feel violated.

Now someone has been into my private email account, looked at all the names in my addresses book (took them too!) and sent messages out impersonating me. I have that same creepy feeling as I did 30 years ago.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry.

Rebecca said...

that is an icky feeling! i'm sorry!

Marilyn said...

ooh icky. I've been getting a lot of spam lately-could that be why? do you know how to fix it? I wasn't living at home when the robbery happened-I think I was on my honeymoon at the time but I remember. We decided it was a good thing that we had taken all our wedding presents home because they would have been stolen too!

GinnyC said...

I remember the house robbery. So sorry to have your email broken into. What can be done to prevent it again?

I was robbed on my mission too. Our car was broken into twice. They took my glasses the first time. ( a lot of good those would do them, hah!) We really didn't keep much except pass along cards, b of m's etc. Who knows, maybe they read it and decided to repent...

I'm sorry about your privacy being violated that way.

Mari said...

I got the spam and knew it couldn't have been you. I'm so sorry! Makes you feel a little creeped out. Jerk hackers!