Saturday, March 28, 2009

Feeling Squirrely

The squirrels are finished hibernating.

And boy, ARE THEY HUNGRY!

We like to feed the birds at our house. I think we have 6 bird feeders. As a result, we get lots of different species. And I think they love us.

Unfortunately, our bird feed also attracts the squirrels.

You would think they would be content to feed on the extra that falls on the ground.

But no, they are not content to be bottom feeders. They want the stuff directly from feeder, no matter how hard it is to get it.

We used to have a "squirrel proof" bird feeder. It had a spring attached to the top and when something heavier than a bird (like a squirrel), climbed on it, the spring would stretch down and the whole mechanism would slide down covering the holes that the birds would feed from.

We got such a fiendish delight watching those squirrels try to figure out how that thing worked. They were foiled at every attempt.

I would snicker every time.

Eventually the spring wore out and one day I noticed that a squirrel was eating freely from the hole.

Now we have just resigned ourselves to buying new feeders every 1 to 2 years.

One day the pole that our feeder was on was slippery. I thought maybe DH had greased it to try and discourage those little rodents. I saw one big guy climb up and slide back down. And then he did it again.

It was very entertaining.

But he finally figured out that he could leap to the top of the pole and then make his way to the feeder.

Little stinker.

This guy just reaches out and grabs it. But is he content with just that? . . .

He must possess the feeder and make it his own. Poor birds don't stand a chance.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Thanks for the post. There are no such things as squirrels at my house-so this is highly entertaining for me too. Except I have a family of quail that I think is invading my garden!