Thursday, March 26, 2009

You know it's spring when . .

Spring in Michigan is always a bit unorganized.

It can be sunny and 65 one day, and the next be 32 and snowing.

It's like the earth can't make up its mind whether it's winter or summer.

Then, suddenly it's 85 and summer has arrived.

But I have my own secret gauge for determining when spring is here:


There is a small cattle ranch on a road that I drive nearly every day. It is right in the middle of houses and neighborhoods.

During March the cows start delivering their calves. When that happens I know spring has arrived. Even if there is two feet of snow on the ground, I know those little babies signal spring!

So, a few weeks ago when I was driving into town on a windy, cold, blustery day, I saw the first little tiny calf nursing with its momma.

And I breathed a sigh a relief that winter was over at last.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Oh no! That means summer is coming here! ugg-115! BTW-the potatoes are actually very good. I hate the taste of canned potatoes. They taste really "tinny" like metal from the can but these don't taste that way.