Monday, March 31, 2008

Facing your fears

Tomorrow I embark on a trip to see my lovely children. Problem is, I have to get on a plane to get there. I haven't flown for over 20 years.Things have changed in the flying world. I used to be able to get to the airport 20 minutes before takeoff. Now it's an hour and a half to two hours.

I used to be able to take my own drinks or lotions
. Now all that has to be left at home or in the cargo hold.

I used to not worry about hijackers, terrorists and the like.
Now I am as worried about them as the marshal on board with the gun.

When I started having children the realization hit me that I could die and leave them alone and unmothered. For that reason I just couldn't bring myself to get on a plane. Plus the fact that flying all of us would take our life's savings. So I got by on my own wheels.

The last driving trip to Utah was long. I was feeling my age as my back, legs and torso cramped up from sitting for hours. I struggled to stay awake across the plains of Nebraska and Wyoming. For the first time in years the thought occurred to me that I would rather fly than drive. It was a breakthrough.

I also decided that it was more important for me to see my children's major life events than let my fear prevent me from making the trip.

It is hard for me. Scary. But. . . I have a pocket of Xanax and faith that my time here is not yet over. See you in the wild blue yonder!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yay! I hope I get to see you too!!

Have a great flight!

Marilyn said...

Have a good flight. I have flown more but I still get nervous. Let us know when you arrive!

Jessica said...

You can do it!! Just keep saying it. I can do it, I can do it, I can do it!! Or you could just pretend you are on a really long roller coaster, that has no loops or upside rolls....

jen said...

Well, you've made it by now. I hope all went well. Enjoy seeing the kiddos. Wish I was up there to visit as well!