Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Potholes . . . in life

After a particularly hard winter that is still ongoing, these little buggers suddenly appear:
Driving down the road takes major skills, man! I am testing my Mario Andriette prowess as I weave and dodge, much to my passenger's distress. The guy in front of me does it too. We are all swerving, while keeping our eyes on the oncoming traffic (they are doing it too). A pothole hit dead center can jar every tooth in your head, not to mention the axle of your car.

Ever wonder why they call them "potholes?"
Is it because a pot will fit inside? What kind of pot? Food for serious thought. But, I digress.

Because I am a Young Women leader, my mind is always making analogies of my life, parables to teach by, if you will. Ways to influence yw -- and always trying to find some way to reach them. What are some of the potholes in your life? What are you continually trying to avoid? What damage does it cause to you when you hit one? Are life potholes becoming increasingly numerous? (I think they are).

So I am off now to ponder potholes as the sun slowly warms the earth, gently coaxing spring to return.

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Hmmmm, serious food for thought-potholes.....glad it's warming up your way except that if it's warming up your way-it's REALLY GOING to warm up my way.

Jessica said...

I had some insight to your quest for the 'pothole' object lesson... We are like streets, in that we have many imperfections. After a long 'winter' or a long time without repentance, we can get spiritual potholes. The only way we can fix these is to call out for our Street Fixer, or the Head of the Department of Transportant, who is the Savior to repair the damage that has been done...

Ok, not that great, but it is a start. :)

Anonymous said...

To me, potholes are little holes that make more of an impact then you would think, based on the size of the pothole. Also, a pothole is something you know to avoid, only by having had the unfortunate experience of actually hitting one, or upon the advice of someone else who has had that experience.

So, for me, the potholes of life would be the seemingly little things that might make a big impact. For instance, someone who has time to watch American Idol, but "doesn't have enough time" to read scriptures. Missing one day of reading scriptures might not seem like a big deal, but it could have a jarring effect. (Setting yourself up for future bad habits, teaching yourself to justify, disconnecting from the spirit...)

Also, wouldn't it be better to accept the advice of the experienced and avoid the potholes, rather then deal with the unpleasant consequences?