Thursday, February 12, 2009

Livin' Conservatively

There are some things I love about winter.

Conversely, there are some things I hate about winter.

This fits into both categories:

I love my wood burning stove.

I hate my wood burning stove.

It keeps me warm, sometimes hot.

It doesn't keep me warm enough when it is -6 outside.

It makes a mess.

It is alot of work.

However, with all that being said, there is nothing like a warm, crackling stove on a cold winter's night.

I got the idea in my head that I wanted to try to save energy this winter. I figured, "hey, I have this great stove that puts out lots of heat, I should put it to better use, like, hmm, using it as a clothes dryer."

Absolute brilliance, no?

First, I needed to figure out a way to hang the clothes. After countless hours on the internet, I discovered this nifty little gadget:

VOILA! Clothes are up!



Add a little breeze:

And you are in business, baby!

I figured this would add moisture to our dry basement, keep it smelling fresh, and save me $$$$!

And it did, for about a week. Until I discovered my large capacity washer holds much more than my clothesline. And my clothesline tends to have major droop with more than 20 lbs. on the line. And my family didn't appreciate walking into wet clothing as they passed through the room. And sometimes it took HOURS to dry. And somehow it made the room feel colder. . .

Back to the dryer I go!

No comments: