Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Itchy and Scratchy

My DH has been suffering a skin ailment for years.

We have been to the doctor, to the dermatologist, and nearly went to an allergist for help.

He received multiple diagnosis, multiple prescriptions, multiple steroid injections, multiple biopsis.

The only thing that seemed to help was the steroid injections.

We thought he was allergic to some kind of food. We cut out wheat, nuts, processed foods, almost anything. Nothing seemed to work long-term.

I did internet searches, looking for matching pictures of the blotches on his body.

Finally, after yet another trip to a dermatologist and the prognosis that there really wasn't anything they could do except give him skin cream, I began deeply searching the internet, determined to find a diagnosis and cure.

I stumbled upon a picture that looked a bit like what he had. "Hey, did the dermy ever use the term 'nummular' eczema?" I asked. "Yeah, that sounds familiar," he replied. So I dug ever deeper into treatment options, and found one I hadn't tried before.

"Could it be this simple?" I thought to myself.

I began washing DH's clothing and bedsheets in gentle soap with no fabric softener and added a double rinse to the cycle. Within days his skin improved.

He is now so much better. We can't believe it. We are hoping it is not a fluke, but it seems to be working. His clothes come out just as soft as if I had used softener. But best of all he feels better!

So, if you have skin issues in your family, try this and see if it works!

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

Details-I need details. What soap? The family motto in this house is "dry skin." And of course we live in about the dryest place on earth.

The Mink Family said...

I love the daily blog updates!!

Liz said...

My mom double rinsed my laundry for me when I was a kid for my skin issues. In later years they came out with hypoallergenic detergent. I use ALL. I would recommend it to anyone. Also, liquid detergent over any kind of powdered laundry soap is a must.

Liz said...

My mom double rinsed my laundry for me when I was a kid for my skin issues. In later years they came out with hypoallergenic detergent. I use ALL. I would recommend it to anyone. Also, liquid detergent over any kind of powdered laundry soap is a must.