Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Flashback

Remember that scene in "Somewhere in Time" where Christopher Reeve pulls the 1982 penny from his pocket?

Of course you remember. It was the most dramatic scene of the movie, if you saw it. I did. About 10 times. Cried every time too.

Anyway, I had my own flashback moment. It wasn't a 1982 penny. It was this:



Now this may not seem that exciting. What's so great about Crest toothpaste?

Can you see the flavor? It's Citrus Splash.

Now, most people prefer to use minty toothpastes, including me. It feels fresher, cleaner. Most people prefer that.

Most people. Except Adam. He can't stand mint in anything. Gives him a stomachache. We were so happy when other flavors of toothpaste came out. This is one of his favorites.

Emily found it when she was cleaning out a suitcase he used when he went to Japan. She had just used it for something else, and somehow the toothpaste got missed. I have a vague recollection that he mentioned he couldn't find it.

She brought it up to me, put it in my hand and I had a Christopher Reeve moment. I could almost hear Adam running up the stairs, could almost hear his voice, could almost hear, "Hey, you found my toothpaste! Awesome!"

Almost.

But in the end I am left with memories and a mostly-used tube of toothpaste.

It will be safely held in my bathroom drawer until he returns.

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

ahh. you're having one of those missionary mommy moments. hang in there! i had one early one when we were listening to a wonderful CD and the singer started singing "Bring him home." I left the room. P.S. I love the fact that you are now posting more often!

Jessica said...

Sweet memories of your missionary...The funny thing about my bro missionary: I did not think I would miss him as much as I do. I was listening to the radio once and a song came on that reminded me of him, made me sad that he was not here but SO happy when I remembered why he wasn't. You can do it! You've already done it once right? :)