Friday, July 4, 2008

Doin' My part to save the planet

Tuesday I had a dentist appointment.

Nothing serious, just the usual cleaning. However, I have been looking for opportunities to exercise, and I thought to myself, "Hey, I could ride my BIKE to the dentist! Wouldn't that be cool! Think how much gas I would save! And it would just count as my exercise for the day! Bonus!"

Problem was, Emily had an appointment too at the same time. Could I convince her to ride too? I would have to handle it carefully.

So, here's our conversation:

Monday afternoon:
Me: "Ems, let's ride our bikes to the dentist tomorrow. It'll be fun!"
Ems: "No way mom."

Monday evening:
Me: "Hey, Em, what do you think about riding our bikes tomorrow. It would be good exericse!"
Ems: "But I'll be all sweaty and gross!"
Me: "No you won't, it's supposed to be cool tomorrow!"
Ems: "No way mom."

I was wearing her down, I knew it!

Monday before bed:
Me: "Ems, I really think we should ride our bikes tomorrow. Think of the gas we'll save!"
Ems: (exasperated) "Mom, cut it out. I'm not going."
Me: "Aw, come on. I know once we get going you'll love it!"
Ems: "No way mom."

I almost had her!!


Tuesday morning:
Me: "Ems, time to wake up. We need to get moving so we have time to ride!"
Ems: (muffled): "Mom, leave me alone. I told you I'M NOT RIDING!"

Oooh, she is gonna do it!!

Tuesday morning a wee bit later:
Me: "GET UP EM! WE ARE RIDING OUR BIKES!!!"
Ems: (groaning, and mumbling incoherently)

I gave her no choice. She had to go. Here we are:





And we're off!

About a mile into it she turned to me and said, "This is really nice. Mom, you have to make me do this, because I'll fight you every time."

I'll remember that, my girl.

We did arrive sweaty, but safely. The ride home was into the wind and a bit harder, but it was a great feeling using our body power to get us where we needed to go. And I know what you are thinking . . . it was a 10 mile round trip ride. Not too bad for an old lady, eh?

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Wow-that's awesome. I am too afraid to ride a bike here in the city with all the whizzing cars.

Rebecca said...

Wow... 10 miles?! You rock!!