Saturday, January 19, 2008

Squeaky Clean

All my dear relatives have been posting great recipes on their blogs with wonderful pictures. I have a new kind of recipe--laundry soap. Yum Yum!

Dear hubby has been suffering from skin ailments the last few years and I was prompted to try different laundry detergents to try and help him. The internet--the source of most wisdom--has some great recipes and I decided to try my hand at it this afternoon. Here are the basic ingredients:

I grated the bar soap in my Cuisinart. It looks almost good enough to eat!


Finally, I mixed it together with the other ingredients, found a jar and here it is. Ta da!


It smells nice, although taking too deep of smells is not a good idea. My sinuses are feeling like they got a good cleaning.

I have also switched to a new fabric softener: Vinegar. It works great, and no, your clothes do not smell like salad dressing! Once it dries there is no smell.

Great for the environment and cheap too! Not bad for a Saturday afternoon. By the way, here are the ingredients:
1 bar Fels Naptha soap (I know, I didn't know what it was either, but it should be either in the laundry aisle or bath aisle)
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda (NOT baking soda)
1/4 cup oxi-clean (optional)

Use 1 tbsp for light loads, 2 tbsps for heavy loads

I'll let you know how it works!

3 comments:

jen said...

Cool! Definately let us know how you like it!

jen said...

Oh, BTW, I have used vinegar too...yeah it really does work great! except then I miss my Downy smell. I LOVE smelly clothes (as in GOOD smelling clothes..LOL!)

Marilyn said...

Hey-that's really cool...love the photos too. I would like to know how it works. Poor TL's skin in the winter is so bad-dry and itchy-