Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Freak Out

Every once in a while something happens in your life that gives you pause and makes you think. Or sometimes just freaks you out a little.

Such was the case with me yesterday. A piano student left the local paper here for me to read. I was glancing through it last night and my eyes fell on the obituary section. Sometimes I read the obituaries just for fun. As I was reading a name caught my eye. It was familiar but I couldn't think why. The woman was 55, fairly young by my standards. As I was reading it dawned on me that I had just spoken to this woman last Thursday about an elderly lady that I visit teach. My elderly friend was receiving aid for meals and trips to the store, and the deceased woman was her social worker. She had called last week because my elderly friend had not answered the door when meals were delivered. We chatted at length about her situation and I told her I would check on her the next day.

Friday I called and left her a message about my friend, that she was ok, and that they could still deliver meals. Saturday the social worker was dead, from injuries sustained while falling off a horse.

The irony of the situation still sits with me. My elderly friend wants to die. She wants to be with her dead husband. She is sick but won't go to the doctor. The person assigned to help her has 3 children, a husband, and a grandchild, and a pretty happy life. This was not the way it was supposed to turn out.

"For every thing there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven."

No comments: