Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Things that go bump in the night

We are country folk. I like living in the country. It is quiet and beautiful. We are close enough to the city that it doesn't take long to get there when we need to, yet far enough away that we feel we have our own little paradise.

However, that peace comes with a price. Little critters like to live in the country too. Around our house. In our house. This time of year they start searching for a warm place. They know that winter is coming. Smart little buggers.

Whenever we have heavy rains, little frogs find a habitat in Em's window well. They annoy her at night by repeating jumping up on her window. Thump. Thump. Tha thump. All night. So last week we decided to fish some of them out. I use the term "we" loosely. It's mostly her, not me. I'm not touching any slimy frogs!!! Just ask my kids. They know.

So in the process of seeing how many were down there, we spotted a little tiny snake poking its head out from a hole in her window. YES, A HOLE IN HER WINDOW! He was just the right size to fit. "Don't worry, Em," I consoled. "There is no way that guy can get in our house. That window is sealed tight."
Little did I know.

Fast forward to today. Ems pokes me this morning and says, "Mom, there is a snake in my room!" "Mmmph?" I reply. "MOM, there's a SNAKE in my room!"

"How big is it?"

"Not too big. I think it is the same one we saw last week."


Argh. Where is that DH of mine????

So, I finally pulled myself out of bed and sometime later went down to investigate. I haven't found it yet. I am gingerly picking up odd pieces of clothing, homework, books, with great trepidation. Nothing like a snake to get your heart moving in the morning!

Now I just have to figure out what to do with it when I find it. I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Send the snake to my house. Maybe it will help Alyssa keep her room neater-knowing that snakes like to lurk in piles of clothes, shoes, books, purses, etc. etc.

Marilyn said...

P.S. I LOVE your header on your blog. I need to take the time to figure out how to add one to mine. If you have any advice-I'm all ears!

Mari said...

You need your daughter the fearless to come and find it for you. Well... fearless when it comes to reptiles and amphibians that is.
And I love your header and layout too! I need to make my blog cooler. Someday...